The participants for the 2013 Solar Decathlon have been announced and, our own Carleton Architecture students (amongst students from other different faculties) will be representing Canada in this very exciting competition. Congratulations!
The Carleton Team has formed a partnership with Queen’s university and they will be competing against 19 other teams. The Goal is to design and build a highly energy efficient solar powered house that:
- Is affordable, attractive, and easy to live in
- Maintains comfortable and healthy indoor environmental conditions
- Supplies energy to household appliances for cooking, cleaning, and entertainment
- Provides adequate hot water
- Produces as much or more energy than it consumes.
Last year, Canada was represented by University of Calgary. The images below demonstrate their final result.
For more information about the Solar Decathlon and the Carleton Team visit the following links:
Solar Decathlon YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gAn134gOLWY
Official website: http://www.solardecathlon.gov/index.html
Carleton team : http://solarhousing.mae.carleton.ca/solard.html